Veritas NetBackup 8.0 Maintenance & Troubleshooting
AudienceThis course is for NetBackup administrators, operators, system engineers, and technical support personnel who want to broaden their NetBackup advanced troubleshooting knowledge and skills on a Windows or UNIX platform.
PrerequisitesBefore attending this course, you must have:
- One year of NetBackup Administration on windows or Unix operating systems.
- Two years of experience as a system administrator, including networking, on the Windows or UNIX operating system
- Familiarity with backup and restore concepts and SAN concepts
- Troubleshooting situations and methodology
- Gathering symptoms and information
- Additional troubleshooting resources
- Core process functions overview
- Backup process flow
- Tape restore process flow
- Disk restore process flow
- Viewing process flow information
- Understanding NetBackup communication
- Configuring NetBackup and network communication
- Troubleshooting network and NetBackup communication problems
- Common NetBackup communication issues
- NetBackup device troubleshooting
- Common NetBackup device issues
- Media and device selection
- Media-related status codes
- Troubleshooting frozen and suspended media
- Overview of disk-based backups
- Maintaining and Troubleshooting Basic Disk
- Maintaining and Troubleshooting Advanced Disk
- Maintaining and Troubleshooting OpenStorage
- Understanding NetBackup deduplication and deduplication process flow
- Maintaining and troubleshooting NetBackup deduplication
- Protecting from MSDP server failure
- Troubleshooting file system backups
- Troubleshooting snapshot-based backups
- Troubleshooting VMware backups
- Troubleshooting Hyper-V backups
- Troubleshooting restores
- Understanding Storage Lifecycle Policies
- Troubleshooting Storage Lifecycle Policies
- Troubleshooting data classification
- Understanding Auto Image Replication
- Troubleshooting Auto Image Replication
- Preparing to gather debug logs
- Enabling debug logs
- Performing log management
- Capturing debug logs
- Preparing for debug log analysis
- Viewing debug logs
- Analyzing debug logs for a successful backup job
- Analyzing debug logs for a failed backup job
- The NetBackup catalog
- The NetBackup relational databases (NBDB)
- Catalog backup and recovery
- Maintaining the NBDB
ObjectivesBy the completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Detect problems using tools such as the NetBackup reports, NBSU, and administrative commands.
- Correct problems and verify these corrections.
- Understand the functions of services, daemons, and processes that drive NetBackup operations.
- Back up, recover, and troubleshoot the NetBackup catalog, including the NBDB database.
- Rapidly and accurately isolate the root cause of a backup failure.
- Troubleshoot a wide variety of tape device, media, disk, deduplication, and communication-related problems.
- Enable and use legacy, unified, and robust logging to troubleshoot problems.
- Run backups and restores with a higher rate of success and efficiency.
- Troubleshoot important features such as VMWare and Hyper-V backups and Storage Lifecycle policies (SLP).